Uncategorized

Nigerian National Identification Number (NIN): Registration to Commence Soon

By  |  54 Comments

The National Identification Number (NIN) registration will soon commence at various enrolment centres all over Nigeria. Every citizen of Nigeria from the age of 16 years and above, and legal residents are eligible to enrol for the NIN. (Arrangements are also currently being made to ensure that all persons from birth can be registered and enrollment of biometrics from the age of five (5) can be achieved).

The Nigerian National Identification Number (NIN) is similar the United States of America’s Social Security Number (SSN). This is a set of numbers assigned to an individual by the government as a means of tracking its citizens, permanent and temporary residents for the purposes of work, taxation, government benefits, health care, and other government-related functions.

The NIN once issued to a person cannot be used again, (that is, it cannot be issued to another person even if the previous person is dead). It is the NIN that helps to tie all records about a person in the database and is used to check the identity verified.

This will be managed by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), established by Act No. 23 of 2007 whose primary goal is to foster the orderly development of an identity sector in Nigeria through the development of a modern and universally acceptable identity management infrastructure in Nigeria. The Act empowers NIMC to establish, manage, regulate and enforce an effective and secure Identity Assurance System that would facilitate the harmonization and integration of identity databases in government agencies, ensure sustainability, reliability and acceptance across diverse points and contexts and application of the verification and authentication services within and outside the country.

Enrollment consists of the recording of an individual’s demographic data and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture and digital signature, which are all used to cross-check existing data in the National Identity Database to confirm that there is no previous entry of the same data. Once this (de-duplication) process is completed the data is then stored with a unique NIN that was assigned to it. The process is the same whether you choose the self-service or you require an assisted service.

There are different ways you can enrol for the NIN:

1.  Self Service Enrollment
Stage 1:

• Applicant visits NIMC website: http://www.nimc.gov.ng to access the Enrollment Form or walks into an enrolment centre and use the self-service workstation.
  • Fills the Enrolment Form online and prints a summary sheet with a 2D Barcode and Registration ID number.
  • At the enrolment centre, the enrolment officer scans barcode to pull up the applicant data or uses the Registration ID Number to pull up the information from the database.

Alternatively,

• Applicant walks into an enrolment centre and picks up an enrolment form.
  • Fills the enrolment form, providing the required demographic information.
  • Applicant approaches the enrolment officer who collects the completed form and inputs the details into the enrolment portal.

Stage 2: Applicant verifies and confirms the enrolment data on the system.
Stage 3: Applicant has his photograph, finger print captured.
Stage 4: Applicant has his supporting documents scanned.
Stage 5: Enrolment is acknowledged and a slip is generated and given indicating completion of enrolment.
Stage 6: Applicant leaves the enrolment centre.

2.  Assisted-Service
Stage 1: Applicant walks into enrolment centre and request for enrolment assistance.
Stage 2: A support officer assists applicant in picking and filling the enrolment form.
Stage 3. Applicant approaches an enrolment officer who collects the completed form and inputs the details into the enrolment portal.
Stage 4: Applicant verifies and confirms the enrolment data on the system.
Stage 5: Applicant has his photograph, finger print captured.
Stage 6: Applicant has his supporting documents scanned.
Stage 7: Enrolment is acknowledged and a slip is generated and given indicating completion of enrolment.
Stage 8: Applicant leaves the enrolment centre.

3.  Mobile-Service
Stage 1: Applicant goes to a mobile enrolment station.
Stage 2: Request an enrolment form and fill it or request a support officer to provide assistance.
Stage 4: Applicant verifies and confirms the enrolment data on the system.
Stage 5: Applicant has his photograph, finger print captured.
Stage 6: Applicant has his supporting documents scanned.
Stage 8: Applicant leaves the enrolment centre.

After the completion of the enrolment process, you will be informed of the date and time for collection of the National Identification Number (NIN). NIN can only be collected by an individual after biometric verification where you previously enrolled and not by proxy.

There are Registration Centers in all the 36 NIMC State offices in the capital of each State and FCT, and with time there will also be centers in all the 774 Local Government offices nationwide. There are also plans to establish additional registration centers and mobile registration centers in strategic locations for easy access to enrolment.

For more details on enrollment, Click here.

Click here to view the registration centres

Enrollment process Chart

54 Comments

1. Weselion

March 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m sick and tired of all this coming soon,why can’t we just hear the date

2. uchgoz

June 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

what is this all about

3. Dave

November 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

l hope things will be properly done once & for all. No wasting of money dis time around. God bless Nigeria

4. IBICHAD

November 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

GOOD JOB

5. Anonymous

December 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Please how do i become an enumerator of this registration?

• EDWIN

December 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Please how do i become an enumerator of this registration?

6. mary

December 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM

when is the something coming to kaduna

7. olu oye

December 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

when n where

8. John

December 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I want to be a NIN registration agent for my area in Ogun state. I will be glad to receive from you .thanks.

9. John

December 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM

i want to be a NIN registration agent in area in ogun state.

10. akinola magret

December 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM

how do i become an enrolment officer

11. muyiwa

December 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I stay at Ikotun Egbe.Where is your nearest center.

12. ignatius paul

February 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

HELLO AM IGNATIUS PAUL FROM PORTHATRCOURT I WANT TO NO WHEN AND WHERE IS THIS ENROLLMENT TAKING PLACE OK YOU CAN ALERT MY NUMBER BELOW IF NECCESSARY.

PHONE:+2347056497788

13. Magnus

February 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Please would there by another opportunity for people who were not able to apply again?

14. Toye

February 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It can not happen,if it does, it can not work….this is Nigeria

15. Anonymous

April 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

why is the nimc website not available for easy enrollment as stated in your steps.Although i’ve done mine,what of others that can’t afford to spend long hours at the centres as a result of their job schedule.pls do something about access to your enrollment website

16. Sani Yandoma

May 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I stay at Dala kano city where is your nearest center?

17. ABIAKA CHIDIEBERE F.

June 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If given the opportunity, i will be very much interested to work as one the enumerator for this registration. Thanks

18. Bashar Jelani

June 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I did regstred since 2month, but i did’nt get the card up to now. It is not regstrd? Or i have a problem?

19. Anonymous

July 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Brethren be on ur guared so dat u ar nt dcivd. Wot kind of No ar u going 4? Am sure its nt d no of d beast(ANTICHRIST 666)? By d way, y ar dey numberin u? Ar u domestic animals? Pls Think abt dis b4 u sale ur soul.

20. Godwin Mary

July 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM

21. Bello I Olawale

July 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM

as for me i dont see anything wrong in identification number,if it is properly handled by the agency it should be used to control the crime rate in the contry.whoever commit crime can easily be identified through the persons bio-data registered. +I LIVe@IJANIKIN and I wILL LiKE TO BE a center coordinator in my LCDA.

22. Bello I Olawale

July 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

as for me i dont see anything wrong in identification number,if it is properly handled by the agency it should be used to control the crime rate in the contry.whoever commit crime can easily be identified through the persons bio-data registered. +I LIVe@IJANIKIN and I wILL LiKE TO BE an NNIM AGENT in my LCDA.

23. Anonymous

August 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

the bible say “dont be ignorate of d devicese of the ememy “. These number d r talkin of is simply d mark of d beast, if not y does it have to com in 3 figures ( NIN ) and why must it b connected to ur taxztion, works, health care n bank account? Pls tink twce anti- christ are comin out gradually clamin to b technologies. There is no time left u have to know were u blong to wether to accept d mark of d beast or accept christ

24. Handerson Etim Jnr

August 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in this NIN. If there was, my God wouldn’t hide anything from me. I knw whom i believe in. He won’t let me fall into any evil hand. Pls friends dnt be dismayed. U ar in God’s hands.

25. Michael

August 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This NIN Program, to me, is a replica of the one being done by the Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA), which is currently on-going across the state. I did mine early August: All the highlighted processes of registration are 100% the same. Are the two meant for the same purpose, & can somebody use one in lieu of the other? Besides, what happens to the registered person in the case of misplacing his/her number, whether it is printed on a paper or on a plastic card, bearing in mind that it is once-in -a-lifetime thing?

26. Auta

August 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Y dis again????? Afta d reisteration s don.

27. Chris

October 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

people can say whatever they want in order to dismay others! But the question is do you really belive in Jesus Christ? Ask yourself and answer yourself. As for me I know the God i serve. So no weapon formed against me shall prosper. NIN simply mean national identification number. Its not a Mark! Its just like our former Identity card. So don’t panic or dismay others with your false believe. Remember it is revealed that the Mark of the Beast will be impleted on the fore head or the right thumb.

28. Evi

November 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

This is the mark of the beast. The letter N=14, I=9, N=14. NIN are three numbers. (14*3)+(9*3)+(14*3)=111. Then 111*6=666

29. Nasir Jabir

November 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Keep me up to date with gists via email.

30. Salisu m shehu

November 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hellow pleas iwas reg since on 29 mach 2012 but up to noun idid not get my card what is the frobelm?

31. Nna

January 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Pls. To whom it may concern the only one center at 285 Aba Rd is not enough. This exercise is taking full one day.also the staff strenght is too poor especially the computer operators.staff should be assigned to specific duties. Tanks

• abbey

March 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Pls how can i locate the place in portharcourt. 07035025295

32. Akinwumi Amos

January 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Hi if I do not have driver’s licence or international passport can I have the national ID

33. Obyno

February 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Hi i ‘ve done mine in abakaliki when is d card comin out thanks.

34. Ogunwole temitope

February 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I have also registered,but d slip given to us is not accepted in bank

35. Sa'eed Bello karfi

February 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Pls which way can i registrater and to get my idcart.

36. Muhammad Shehu Saleh

February 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I am one of the person who register but my finger print were not able to be captured, so, I was informed that I will be called for the finger print, but uptil now no one call or give me reason for not calling me. I registered at federal secretariat complex Dutse. So what can I do?

37. 0juka, Tekenari Benson

February 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Indeed I must confess that, the ongoing NIN registration process at Port Harcourt was fairly credible compare to other gov’t agencies. Though there is shortage of manpower which tends to make the process a bit clumsy. Let me use this medium to advise the DG to maintain this spirit of commitment and patriotism, and more so step up the game to improve the Port Harcourt Centre in terms of manpower and facilities. THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU.

38. abbey

March 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM

How can i locate 238 aba road port harcourt. Pls, can someone help me with it. D bus stop and the popular building around it

39. akintayo olawale

March 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Am from osun state,where can we go to register as a member?

40. Hassan Garba Fagge

April 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM

The exercise is highly. Commendable but. More centres are required for quicker districtbution of the card. More public awareness is suggested

41. uzondu chimezie

April 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Am look for worke

42. Easy

May 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM

True talk from Evi. this is one of the antichrist’s strategies. pls, brethren watch out! !! !!!

43. Umoru, Suleiman Bello

May 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I am Suleiman, and currently resident in Suleja, Niger State. Can i pls know the NIN registration Centre in or nearest to Suleja? Thank you.

44. Anonymous

May 13, 2014 at 5:24 AM

All the best fellow Nigeria whatever it may be remember that Our God is always there, but one thhng is certain and that is if they can make through such way that it will not be divercfied by our so call ruler because this all about personal security along with new age computer programming app, which is likely be reprogramme by the oga at the top people who knows how to bend law and constitution to make their way. So my country people always do what is right to do, and also this is another new development we have been wating for long time period i mean people that knows it worthy. Thanks

45. buhari ssrkin gobir

June 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

whenfo i collect my ID.myNIN NUM…ISSUED ON 7/11/2013

46. JOE

June 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

In enugu north the enrollment officers are haulding the forms, if they don’t tell u that they were not given money to fuel their generator, they will tell u there is no form. The form comes out only when they see p’ple they know or who can giv money

47. Americans.

June 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Now americans can scam stupid nigerians!!! Get our money back.

48. idris abubakar

July 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM

am from katsina state were a have an advice to gov that pls help the people in this country,stop crime,&killing pple just like that,cos everyone knows what its happining in this country &unemployement to the youth pls what do you want us to do?

49. idris abubakar

July 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM

50. Sokunbi Emmanuel Ayomide

August 7, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Pls I lost my voters card then I need d main National Identification Card, when & which time its gonna come out.

51. Innocent felix

August 28, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I hope say una go tell us super story @ d end,bcoz even d 1st national id card no reach my hand till 2moro

52. ejovwovincent

August 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM

i have done mine but cant see the national identity number but i saw the 2d barcode