Human rights activist, Femi Falana sues Nigerian President for N500million!

By  |  9 Comments

Femi Falana

Femi Falana, human rights lawyer, who was at the fore front of the recent Occupy Nigeria protests has sued President Goodluck Jonathan and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, for N500m over an alleged violation of his rights by soldiers deployed in Lagos to quell protests against the removal of subsidy on fuel.

According to the PunchNg:

In a suit filed at the Federal High Court, Lagos on Wednesday, Falana alleged that the soldiers acted on the authority of the President to violate his constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of expression, assembly and movement.

The applicant said he was on January 16 prevented by the armed soldiers deployed by the first Respondent (Presdent Jonathan) from expressing his opinion on the removal of fuel subsidy at the Gani Fawehinmi Park.

He said, “At about 7:30am on January 16, 2012 I was stopped at Maryland, Lagos by armed soldiers, who prevented me from moving to the venue of the rallies and ordered me to return home.”

He asked the court to order the respondents to pay him “the sum of N500m, being general damages for the violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights to freedom of assembly and association, freedom of movement and freedom of expression.”

“The order issued by the 1st respondent (President Jonathan) on the 16th of January, 2012 curtailing the applicant’s fundamental rights to freedom of expression, right to assembly and movement and enforced by the 2nd respondent through his armed agents is a violation of the fundamental rights of the applicant as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act (Cap A9) Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.”

To read a previous post on this story, click here

What happens to the other Nigerians who were with him? Do they all get N500million each too? Do you think Femi Falana can win this case? Drop your comments below…

9 Comments

1. Adeyelu

January 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The menace of Boko Haram is very disturbing. I implore your excellency to handle this issue with iron hands & call all the perpetrators of this dastardly acts to book. Thank Ɣ●ů for creating this avenue to reach Ɣ●ů.

2. Billy Fame

January 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

There’s no doubt dat d human right lawyer Femi falana will win this case bcos there were alots of human right abuses in d manner in which president Goodluck Jonathan ordered arm soldiers over protesters dat gathered 2 protest in defending their right by expressing displeasure their 2wards amiss policy by d president.

3. TIJANI

December 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

FEMI FALANA

4. edward chukwutem peter F.

January 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

please sir, have a very important issue at hand regarding injustice meted out to my father.if i can have ur email i will forward the document to you.

5. Mr Balogun Samuel

March 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Sir I’ll like to see u or even get your number to call u personally on a pressing issue which I count as cheating of my benefits of which I laboured for by my boss. This is my phone number sir 08025875852 or 08067305990.

6. Fatai lawal o

March 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

sir i will like to be among of the people that will fight for a positive change in Nigeria.

7. Adesanya Joseph

July 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Sir, pls. I need your assistance. My brother was unjustly repremanded in kirkiri prison by some big men in Nigeria just because he batched their car. I shall be greatful

8. Barr. Dan Dan

September 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Sir I must say that you are really a blessings to this nation because the govt in its mis use of absolute power sometimes infringe on peoples right by torturing,Arresting,violating and intimidating activists but you are always unintimidated please permit me to nick name you santo sardona of justice and lexicon of legal santos keep up sir

9. george

April 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM

please sir, have a very important issue at hand regarding injustice that denies me my addmission.if i can have ur email i will forward the details to you.
    Please sir I will like to hear your advice on this, here’s mine contact address; 07065028248