The Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has threatened to adopt a change of tactics in a message posted on YouTube yesterday. The sect also restated that it was behind last week’s attacks in Kano saying bombings and shootings were to avenge the torture of its members.
“We were responsible,” a voice identified as that of suspected Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau says in audio played over a picture of him. “I ordered it and I will give that order again and again. God gave us victory.”
A spokesman for the group had earlier claimed responsibility for coordinated bombings and shootings on January 20 in Kano which left at least 185 people dead. Police stations were the main targets
Shekau said in the message that “we attacked the security formations because our members were arrested and tortured. Our women and children have also been arrested.”
“They should know that they also have wives and children. We can also abduct them. It is not beyond our powers. Soldiers raided an Islamic seminary in Maiduguri and desecrated the Quran.
They should bear in mind that they also have primary and secondary schools and universities, and we can also attack them.”
The Boko Haram leader also accused the authorities of killing civilians in Friday’s violence.
“After we finished our war, policemen stuck around and started killing civilians and later blamed us,” he said. “We are not fighting civilians, but security forces. We only kill soldiers, policemen and their collaborators.”